Some great recipes using Chilli Gourmets tasty range of chilli sauces.
Crispy Chicken & Plum Sauce
1 Free Range Chicken
Salt & Pepper
1 Tbsp Oil If You wish
2 cloves Garlic
Knob of Ginger
1 stick cinnamon
1 tsp fennel seed
1 star anise
1 tsp szechuan peppercorns
Cucumber sliced into thin fingers
Spring Onions sliced into thin fingers
Boiled Rice or Chinese Pancakes (Available at most Chinese grocers)
Chinese Style Hot Plum Sauce to taste
1. Season your chicken inside and out rub the skin with the oil & pop all the spices etc.. inside the chicken and roast it as you would normally. ( I often don't bother with the spices and do this with plain roast chicken).
2. At the end of the cooking time remove all the skin and dark meat from the bones (The breast can be saved for another meal!)
3. Lay the meat out on a baking tray and cover with the skin, skin side up. Sprinkle with a little salt & pepper and cook in a hot oven for about 10 minutes until the skin is really crispy.
4. Serve as you would crispy duck in Chinese pancakes spreading the sauce on each pancake etc. or serve with some boiled rice.
Baked Fish with Sweet Chilli Sauce
Firm fish steaks or fillets of your choice (Salmon and Monk fish work well)
2 Tbsp Sweet Chilli Sauce
1/2 Tbsp Ground nut dash of sesame oil if you have it.
1- 2 Tbsp Lime or Lemon Juice
1 Tbsp of Sesame Seeds Mix
1. Take the sweet Chilli sauce with the other ingredients and smear over the fish steaks.
2. Bake in the oven for 10 - 15 minutes until fish is cooked through. Nice served with some crispy stir fried veg & rice or noodles. (If the chilli taste is not strong enough for you, you can always serve a little extra on the side)
Ottolenghi's butter beans with sweet chilli sauce and fresh herbs
400g dried butter beans
6 garlic cloves, crushed
70ml sweet chilli sauce
2 tbsp sesame oil
3 tbsp soy sauce
3 tbsp lemon juice
2 red peppers, halved, deseeded and cut into 2cm squares
4 spring onions, white and green bits,
Chopped 35g coriander,
Chopped 30g mint leaves,
Chopped coarse sea salt and black pepper
1. Put the butter beans in a large bowl and fill with enough water to cover them by twice their volume.
2. Leave to soak overnight at room temperature.
3. The next day, drain the beans and place them in a large saucepan.
4. Cover with plenty of cold water and bring to a simmer. Cook for 35–55 minutes, skimming froth from the surface and topping up with boiling water if necessary, until tender. (The cooking time will vary according to the bean size and freshness, so try them a few times during cooking to make sure they don't turn to a mush. In case they begin to overcook, remove from the heat and add plenty of cold water to the pan to stop the cooking.)
5 .When they are done, drain in a colander and leave to one side.
6. While the beans are cooking, make the sauce.
7. Place the crushed garlic in a bowl large enough to hold the beans. Add the sweet chilli sauce, sesame oil, soy sauce and lemon juice and mix well with a small whisk.
8. Add the red peppers, season the mixture with salt and pepper and set aside.
9. Once the beans have cooled down slightly but are still warm, add them to the sauce, together with the spring onions, herbs and plenty of seasoning.
10. Mix gently with your hands. Taste and adjust the seasoning. Eat warm or cold – just remember to re-adjust the seasoning before serving.
Lamb shwarma kebab with spinach, red onion, peppers, sweet chilli sauce & garlic sauce
700g trimmed neck fillet
For the marinade
3 tsp coriander seeds
3 tsp cumin seeds
2 tsp mild paprika
1½ tbs pomegranate molasses
¼ tsp freshly ground black pepper
1½ tbs olive oil Garlic Sauce
1 head garlic, minced
1 tablespoon sea salt
1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
1 cup vegetable oil
1 cup olive oil (not extra virgin)
For grilling the lamb
Fine sea salt
To assemble the kebabs
150g white cabbage, finely sliced
75g baby spinach leaves
½ red onion, finely sliced
juice of 1 lemon
6 pitta breads
3 medium-sized tomatoes, sliced into rounds
Sweet chilli sauce, Garlic Sauce
To marinate the meat
1. Toast the coriander and cumin seeds over the heat in a dry skillet or frying pan, and grind.
2. Mix in a bowl with the other marinade ingredients.
3. Using disposable gloves, rub the lamb all over with the marinade.
4. Cover and refrigerate overnight or for at least 3 hours.
1. Place the garlic, salt, lemon juice, vegetable oil, and olive oil in a quart-sized jar.
2. Submerge an immersion blender in the mixture to the bottom of the jar. Mix with the blender resting on the bottom of the jar until the ingredients thicken, 1 to 2 minutes.
3. Angle the mixer to pull ingredients from the sides of the jar and lift it toward the top to better combine. Continue blending until the mixture reaches a texture similar to mayonnaise.
To grill the lamb
1. Before barbecuing, give the lamb enough time out of the fridge to lose its chill. This cut of lamb has a relatively high fat and weak sinew content, so needs slow cooking.
2. Season the lamb well with salt. Before you begin barbecuing, have all your kebab ingredients lined up and ready to go.
Preheat the grill to medium-high or 'sizzle' temperature.
2. Clean and lightly oil the rack. A clean grill is particularly important for this recipe, as the pomegranate molasses can make the lamb stick.
3. Place the lamb on the grill and seal on all sides. This should take about 2-3 minutes.
4. Move to a medium heat and cook for a further 12-15 minutes, or until cooked through, turning every 3 minutes or so.
5. Remove the lamb to a warmed tray. Cover and leave to rest for 3-4 minutes while you organise yourself to assemble the kebabs.
To assemble the kebabs
1. Toss the cabbage, spinach and red onion with the lemon juice and season to taste.
2. Slice the lamb thinly on the diagonal, across the grain of the meat, to give doner-kebab-like strips.
3. Warm the pitta breads on the barbecue for a minute on each side until they puff up and are easy to split. Don't toast them, as they will become inflexible.
4. Split the bread down one side. Divide the dressed cabbage and spinach mix between the pittas and top with the tomato, finishing with the garlic sauce and the sweet chilli sauce